Sunday, March 9, 2014

What's App Just got acquired for millions! Why?

You have probably heard the news: Facebook just purchased What's app for 19 billion buckaroos. What makes this so special?


Specs:

  • Cross-platform messenger
  • SMS alternative
  • Group Conversation capacity
  • Upload pictures and videos
  • Profile pics
  • Compatible with most smartphones
  • Ad free
  • Voice messaging
  • 1st year is free, 2nd year costs $0.99
  • Lots of icons 
  • Lots of languages
Good
  • User-friendly
  • I can tell if someone saw my message by the second check mark
  • I can tell what time the message was sent
  • Amusing icons--from smiley faces to fun-loving animals
  • Pictures
  • Group conversation capacity
  • Video, image, text, and audio features
  • Cheaper than a text message plan
Bad
  • Sometimes the app goes out of service randomly--but not any different than any other technology
Verdict
This is a great app with lots of interesting features. I use it and appreciate its simplicity, but I have not completely made the switch from text messages and Facebook chat yet, but my teenager loves sending short video messages to his friends. And I know if my son saw my message, so I'm going to give this app two thumbs up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment